Budget and Council Tax 2019/20 – 2020/21
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The purpose of this report is to set out the
Council’s budget proposals for 2019/20 and 2020/21. It also
sets out the results of the consultation and scrutiny processes.
Subject to discussion at the Cabinet meeting these will form the
basis of the budget to be agreed at the Full Council meeting of 25
i) Cabinet agreed to recommend to full council an overall 4.99% increase in the Council’s element of council tax for 2019/20 with 2% as a precept for Adult Social Care and a 2.99% general increase.
ii) Cabinet agreed to recommend to full council the General Fund revenue budget for 2019/20, as summarised in Appendix A to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
iii) Cabinet noted the cost pressures and technical adjustments detailed in Appendix B to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
iv) Cabinet noted the savings detailed in Appendix C to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
v) Cabinet delegated authority to the Chief Finance Officer to:
a) agree(in consultationwiththe Leader)whether toparticipatein theLondonBusinessRatesPool andpilotsfor subsequentyears(notingthat inthis casetheauthority’sexecutiveadministrativefunctionas abillingauthoritypursuanttothe Non-DomesticRating (RatesRetention)Regulations 2013willremain delegatedto theCityofLondonCorporation, asthe LeadAuthority);and
b) agreethe operational details ofthepoolingarrangementswiththe participatingauthoritiesfor 2019/20andanysubsequentyearsand enterinto anyMemorandum ofUnderstandingrequired.
vi) Cabinet agreed that the Leader of the Council would continue to represent the authority in relation to consultations regarding the London Business Rates Pilot Pool undertaken by the Lead Authority pursuant to the Memorandum of Understanding and he would respond to the consultations.
vii) Cabinet noted the report of the Budget Scrutiny Panel provided at Appendix D to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
viii) Cabinet agreed to set the HRA budget for 2019/20, as set out in section eight of the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
ix) Cabinet agreed to set the HRA rents for council dwellings, tenant service charges and garages, as set out in section eight of the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
x) Cabinet agreed to set the major works and new build development budgets set for 2019/20 and 2020/21, as set out in section eight of this report.
xi) Cabinet agreed to set the rents set under the Housing General Fund for Brent Housing PFI and traveller’s site pitches and to note the rents for Hillside dwellings as set out in section eight of this report.
xii) Cabinet noted the Dedicated Schools Grant as set out in section nine of the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
xiii) Cabinet agreed to recommend to full council the capital programme as set out in Appendix E to the report from the Chief Finance Officer
xiv) Cabinet agreed to recommend to full council the Treasury Management Strategy, Capital Strategy, Investment Strategy and MRP Policy as set out in Appendices F, G, H and I to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
xv) Cabinet noted the advice of the Director of Legal and HR as set out in Appendix J to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
xvi) Cabinet agreed to agreed, and where relevant agree to recommend to full council, the schedule of fees and charges set out at in Appendix K to the report from the Chief Finance Officer.
xvii) Cabinet noted the results of consultation as set out in section 7 and detailed in Appendix L.
Reason Key: Affects more than 2 wards;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Report author: Conrad Hall
Publication date: 12/02/2019
Date of decision: 11/02/2019
Decided at meeting: 11/02/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 19/02/2019
- 09. Budget and Council Tax 2019-20 & 2020-21 PDF 359 KB
- Appendices List PDF 101 KB
- 09a. Appendix A Overall Revenue budget 201920 PDF 209 KB
- 09b. Appendix B Service Cost Pressures PDF 121 KB
- 09c(i). Appendix C (i) Summary of savings proposals PDF 359 KB
- 09c(ii). Appendix C (ii) Detailed savings proposals PDF 1 MB
- 09c(iii). Appendix C (iii) Cumulative Equalities Assessment PDF 583 KB
- 09c(iv). Appendix C (iv) Individual Equality Analyses of Budget Proposals PDF 1 MB
- 09d. Appendix D Budget Scrutiny Report PDF 630 KB
- 09e. Appendix E Capital Programme PDF 155 KB
- 09f. Appendix F Treasury Management Strategy PDF 543 KB
- 09g. Appendix G Capital Strategy PDF 195 KB
- 09h. Appendix H Investment Strategy PDF 174 KB
- 09i. Appendix I MRP Policy PDF 187 KB
- 09j. Appendix J - Legal Advice PDF 410 KB
- 09k(i) Appendix K (i) Fees and Charges Schedule 2019.20 PDF 380 KB
- 09k(ii). Appendix K (ii) Fees and Charges Policy PDF 373 KB
- 09k(iii). Appendix K (iii) Fees and Charges Policy - Guidance for Managers PDF 388 KB
- 09l. Appendix L Budget Consultation PDF 206 KB
- 09m. Appendix M Pay Policy Statement 201920 PDF 179 KB
- Addendum - Resources & Public Realm Scrutiny(7th Feb 19) - Additional deliberations PDF 51 KB