Agenda and minutes
Tuesday 22 May 2018 6.00 pm
Venue: Boardrooms 5&6 - Brent Civic Centre, Engineers Way, Wembley, HA9 0FJ. View directions
Contact: Devbai Bhanji, Governance Assistant Tel: 020 8937 4011; Email: email@example.com
Apologies for absence and clarification of alternate members
No apologies were received
Declarations of interests
Members are invited to declare at this stage of the meeting, the nature and existence of any relevant disclosable pecuniary or personal interests in the items on this agenda and to specify the item(s) to which they relate.
There were no declarations of interest.
To approve the minutes of the meeting of the Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing Committee held on Monday 6 November 2017 as a correct record.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the previous meeting, held on 6 November 2017, were approved as an accurate record of the meeting.
In anticipation of an extension to the remit of the Licensing Committee, this report proposes new decision making arrangements. The paper also fulfils the Committee’s duty to review and determine the representation of political groups on its Regulatory Sub-Committee (if established) and to make appointments in accordance with the wishes of the political groups concerned.
The Committee received a report from the Director of Legal and HR Services detailing changes agreed at the Annual Council meeting on 14 May 2018 to the remit of the Licensing Committee.
The Committee noted:
1. The extension to the remit of the main Licensing Committee. Whilst the Committee would continue to act as the Council’s statutory licensing committee in terms of discharging functions under the Licensing Act 2003 and the Gambling Act 2005 it would now, in addition, exercise the Council’s other (non-executive) licensing and registration functions. These additional functions had previously been the responsibility of the General Purposes Committee, which had now meant the Committee was now classified as an ordinary committee of the Council.
2. As part of the wider changes following on from 1. above, the Committee was being asked to consider:
a. the establishment of a single three Member sub-committee called the ‘Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing Sub-Committee’ to consider and determine applications and other matters that could not be determined by officers under the Licensing Act 2003 and Gambling Act 2005, as detailed within sections 3.7 & 3.8 of the report; and
b. the establishment of a Regulatory Sub Committee, as detailed within section 3.9 of the report to discharge the licensing and registration functions that did not relate to the Licensing Act 2003 or the Gambling Act 2005.
3. The requirement, as detailed within sections 3.11 – 3.20 of the report, for the Committee to review and determine the representation of political groups on any of its Sub-Committees established and to make appointments in accordance with the wishes of the political groups concerned. Whilst there would be no requirement to apply the political balance rules to the Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing Sub-Committee they would apply in relation to the Regulatory Sub Committee.
Having considered the proposals detailed within the report, the Committee RESOLVED
(1) To approve the establishment of a single Alcohol and Entertainment Licensing Sub Committee and Regulatory Sub Committee, on the basis set out in sections 3.7 – 3.9 of the report.
(2) To agree the allocation of seats to political groups on the Regulatory Sub Committee, in accordance with the political balance rules, as detailed within section 3.19 of the report (4 Labour: 1 Conservative); and
(3) To make the following appointments to each of its Sub Committees:
ALCOHOL AND ENTERTAINMENT SUB-COMMITTEE
AHMED (C) LABOUR
HECTOR, KENNELLY, LONG, MAURICE, MCLEISH, R PATEL, W MITCHELL MURRAY
AHMED (C) LABOUR
HECTOR, KENNELLY, MCLEISH, R PATEL, W MITCHELL MURRAY