Budget & Council Tax 2020/21-2022/23
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The purpose of this report is to set out the
Council’s budget proposals for 2020/21, 2021/22 and 2022/23.
It also sets out the results of the statutory processes of
consultation, scrutiny and equalities. Subject to discussion at the
Cabinet meeting, these will form the basis of the budget to be
agreed at the Full Council meeting of 19 February 2020.
NOTED the deputation received from Katie Barringer (Brent Trees) and additional comments made by Councillors Kelcher in summarising the key themes from the Budget Scrutiny Task Group report and Councillor Johnson.
RESOLVED that Cabinet:
(1) Agree to recommend to Full Council an overall 3.99% increase in the Council’s element of council tax for 2020/21, with 2% as a precept for Adult Social Care and a 1.99% general increase.
(2) Agree to recommend to Full Council the General Fund revenue budget for 2020/21, as summarised in Appendix A of the report.
(3) Agree to recommend to Full Council the cost pressures and technical adjustments detailed in Appendix B of the report.
(4) Agree to recommend to Full Council the savings detailed in Appendix C of the report.
(5) To note the report from the Budget Scrutiny Panel in Appendix D of the report. In addition, Cabinet agreed at the meeting to recommend to Council that any overall underspend across the General Fund accrued at the end of March 2020 be ringfenced and bought forward as proposals for spending on the climate change emergency.
(6) To agree the HRA budget for 2020/21, as set out in section seven of the report.
(7) To agree the HRA rents for council dwellings, tenant service charges and garages, as set out in section seven of the report.
(8) To agree the rents set under the Housing General Fund for Brent Housing PFI and traveller’s site pitches and to note the rents for Hillside dwellings as set out in section seven of the report.
(9) To note the Dedicated Schools Grant as set out in section eight of the report.
(10) To note the advice of the Director of Legal, HR, Audit and Investigations as set out in Appendix E of the report.
(11) To agree, and where relevant agree to recommend to Full Council, the schedule of fees and charges set out at in Appendix F of the report.
(12) To note the results of consultation as set out in section six and detailed in Appendix G of the report.
(13) Note and approve the specific recommendations to Full Council as detailed in section 2.13 – 2.29 of the report.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Ravinder Jassar, Head of Finance Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 0208 937 1487.
Report author: Ravinder Jassar
Publication date: 10/02/2020
Date of decision: 10/02/2020
Decided at meeting: 10/02/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 18/02/2020
- 07. Budget and Council Tax 2020.21 Cabinet 10 February 2020 PDF 222 KB
- List of Appendices PDF 32 KB
- 7a. Appendix A Overall Revenue budget 2020.21 PDF 304 KB
- 7b. Appendix B Service Cost Pressures 2020-21 PDF 119 KB
- 7 c(i). Appendix C (i) Summary of 2020-21 budget proposals PDF 303 KB
- 7c(ii). Appendix C (ii) Summary of 2021-22 & 2022-23 budget proposals PDF 29 KB
- 7c(iii) Appendix C (iii) Detailed budget templates for 2021-22 & 2022-23 proposals PDF 1004 KB
- 7c(iv). Appendix C (iv) Cumulative Equalities Impact Assessment of Budget Proposals PDF 685 KB
- 7c(v). Appendix C (v) Individual Equalities Analyses of Budget Proposals PDF 3 MB
- 7d. Appendix D Report of the Budget Scrutiny Task Group PDF 727 KB
- 7e. Appendix E Legal Advice PDF 334 KB
- 7f(i). Appendix F (i) Fees and Charges Explanatory Note PDF 102 KB
- 7f(ii) Appendix F (ii) Fees & Charges Schedule PDF 527 KB
- 7f(iii). Appendix F (iii) Brent Council Fees and Charges Policy PDF 288 KB
- 7g. Appendix G Budget Consultation PDF 397 KB
- 7h. Appendix H Pay Policy Statement 2020-21 PDF 194 KB
- 7i. Appendix I Council Tax Setting Committee PDF 179 KB