Cost of Living Crisis: Supporting Residents with a Warm Place in Brent this Winter
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
to note the action the Council is taking to
help mitigate the impact of the Cost of Living Crisis, specifically
the issue of energy bills this winter.
(1) To note that the Council network of “Warm Welcome Spaces” had commenced with the Council’s libraries registered on the warm welcome national website.
(2) To note that work was under way to develop a cohesive joint offer for residents to access support, advice, warmth and temporary refuge or respite through the network of “Warm Welcome Spaces”.
(3) To note that the Council will work with partners across Brent to maximise impact and map where offers of support meet the needs and demands of Brent residents.
(4) To note that a Council Project Group had been established reporting to the Council’s Cost of Living Crisis Working Group, to monitor the take up and impact of the Warm Welcome Spaces approach. Representatives include Customer Access, Public Health, Strategy and Partnerships, Children & Young People: Early Help, Adult Social Care, and the Communications Team.
(5) To note that meetings of the Group will take place as the autumn and winter season progresses; in order that the impact of actions can be (re)worked, (re)considered and monitored.
(6) To note that Facilities Management will prioritise maintenance of heating systems across the Council’s estate to maintain the Council’s public offer.
(7) To note the proposal to progress the action plan tasks to the proposed timetable.
(8) To note that pursuant to, and within the exercise of the delegated authority of the Corporate Director of Resident Services, limited financial support will be made available in the form of “Warm Welcome Spaces Grants” to community, faith and voluntary groups who make space available throughout the winter season and meet the criteria to offer a Warm Welcome spaces that is inclusive, non-judgmental, and where everyone can expect a warm welcome from staff and volunteers.
(9) To delegate authority to the Corporate Director of Resident Services in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Community Engagement, Equalities and Culture to set the eligibility criteria in respect of the funds available within the Council’s current budget for a “Warm Welcome Spaces Grant”.
Reason Key: Affects more than 2 wards;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Thomas Cattermole, Director of Customer Access Email: email@example.com Tel: 020 8937 5446.
Report author: Collette Hamilton
Publication date: 14/11/2022
Date of decision: 14/11/2022
Decided at meeting: 14/11/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/11/2022