Draft Budget 2022/23
Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the draft budget proposals for
Cabinet noted the comments made by Councillor Kennelly who had requested to speak at the meeting on the draft budget item. In addressing Cabinet, Councillor Kennelly whilst recognising the challenging nature of the budget position faced by the Council, was keen to highlight the importance in maintaining a focus on key infrastructure requirements, including maintenance of footways. Highlighting the support expressed locally for the repairs and maintenance undertaken on footways in his ward he also outlined the wider importance of this in terms of supporting the Council’s objectives towards encouraging more active forms of travel and in tackling the Climate Emergency. As a result he asked Cabinet to ensure that the consideration was given, as part of the budget proposals, to securing and maintaining the necessary levels of investment required to support the need for ongoing and future infrastructure investment, especially in relation to footways.
In responding to the comments raised, Councillor Butt (as Leader of the Council) highlighted the challenges needing to be addressed in securing the necessary funding to be able to support the key objectives identified as priorities by the Council, given the constraints on available funding. The issue raised in relation to securing long term invest to support infrastructure, including footways had been recognised with discussions also being pursued with key stakeholders, including TfL.
(1) To note the Council’s overall financial position.
(2) To endorse the budget proposals for 2022/23 that were previously agreed at the Council meeting of 22 February 2021, as set out in Appendix A of the report.
(3) To agree to consult on a Council Tax increase of 3% in 2022/23.
(4) To agree to participate in a sub London Business Rates Pool in 2022/23 and delegate authority to the Director of Finance to enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with the participating authorities as may be necessary to implement and/or regulate the pool.
(5) To delegate authority to the Director of Finance to agree to participate in such pools in subsequent years (in consultation with the Lead Member) and to enter into Memorandum of Understandings in respect of any such subsequent pools.
(6) To note the position with regard to the funding for Schools and the Dedicated Schools Grant, as set out in Section 7 of the report.
(7) To consult on a rent increase of 4.1% (CPI + 1%) for the 2022/23 Housing Revenue Account budget, as set out in Section 8 and Appendix B of the report.
(8) To note the position with regard to the Capital programme, as set out in Section 9 of the report.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Minesh Patel, Corporate Director Finance and Resources Email: email@example.com Tel: 020 8937 4043.
Report author: Minesh Patel
Publication date: 07/12/2021
Date of decision: 06/12/2021
Decided at meeting: 06/12/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 14/12/2021