Questions from the Opposition and other Non-Cabinet Members
Decision Maker: Council
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. The written and supplementary verbal response provided by the Cabinet Member for Public Health & Adult Social Care to a question submitted by Councillor Fraser regarding the recognition, impact and support available for residents and staff experiencing the impact of long covid.
2. The written and supplementary verbal response provided by the Cabinet Member for Children, Young People & Schools to a question submitted by Councillor Gbajumo in relation to the support available for Looked After Children and impact of the cost-of-living crisis as part of the Council’s Corporate Parent role.
3. The written and supplementary verbal response provided by the Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Finance, Resources & Reform to a question submitted by Councillor Akram regarding the impact of the current economic position on the Council’s budget and provision of services and in highlighting the need for reform of the current system for funding local government.
4. The written and supplementary verbal response provided by the Cabinet Member for Environment, Infrastructure & Climate Action to a question submitted by Councillor Mistry regarding the need to ensure more vigorous parking enforcement in cycle lanes along Kingsbury Road.
5. The written and supplementary verbal response provided by the Cabinet Member for Environment, Infrastructure & Climate Action to a question submitted by Councillor Lorber regarding the consultation undertaken on introduction of a new trial recycling scheme and concerns raised in relation to implementation of new street cleaning arrangements.
Responses were also provided by the relevant Cabinet Members on the following additional questions raised during the open session of this part of the meeting:
· Councillor Kansagra regarding current levels of crime recorded across the borough and specific measures in place to tackle ongoing concerns regarding knife crime.
· Councillor Afzal regarding the positive action being taken by the Council working with the Multi-Faith Forum to recognise and welcome the diverse nature of communities across the borough and in seeking to support ongoing delivery of the recommendations made by the Poverty Commission and within the Black Community Action Plan.
· Councillor Lorber relating to the local environmental impact of the targets within the Local Plan for the delivery of new homes across the borough.
· Councillor Kelcher regarding the plans to ensure local residents were aware of the changes due to be implemented in relation to voter identification as a means of seeking to avoid those impacted being disenfranchised at future elections.
· Councillor Georgiou regarding the appropriateness of Shared Ownership being included as a genuinely Affordable Housing option in the development of housing schemes across Brent.
· Councillor Kennelly in seeking confirmation of the Council’s ongoing support for the LGBTQ+ community across the borough, particularly given its location as the home of the Football Association (FA) and national football team and in view of the stance taken by Qatar as the host nation of the FIFA World Cup.
· Councillor Long highlighting concerns about the use of rental e-bikes on pavements across the borough.
Publication date: 28/11/2022
Date of decision: 21/11/2022
Decided at meeting: 21/11/2022 - Council