Paddington Old Cemetery Opening Hours
We the undersigned petition the council to We the undersigned petition the council to 1.Open the cemetery: 7.30am between 1st of March- 31st of October 7.45am from 1st of November- 28th of February and Close the cemetery at sunset in perpetuity, 2. Ensure access to Paddington Old Cemetery is protected for the many and not the few. 3. Work with local residents and groups such as FOPOC, BEST, BRAT, QPAC who visit Paddington Old Cemetery to address any problems rather than restricting or closing access.
1. Paddington Old Cemetery is a much loved green space as well
as a working cemetery. It is a place where local residents connect
with each other, visit their loved ones, walk with dogs, family or
on their own. It is open 365 days of the year and is part of many
people's daily routine, connecting them to others across the
2. Most local residents are working professionals. Therefore the most important access time is first thing in the morning before work. Times chosen in the morning take into account civil twilight
3. Local residents have been coming to the cemetery for many years. Some of the regulars will tell you how they remember bringing their now grown children here as children. Other will tell you about the different dogs they've owned who they walked in Paddington Old Cemetery. Some will tell you about the parents, children they visit regularly. Most will tell you how the early morning access is the most beneficial.
4. Over the last 24 months Brent have gradually restricted access to local residents in the morning- earlier last month they stopped access to all before 9am for a number of weeks. At the time there were rumours that this was due to complaints from residents in new flats overlooking the cemetery. Brent Council have since said the closure was in error.
5. Any changes were not been consulted with local resident groups-BEST, BRAT, QPARA, or the main group of locals involved with the cemetery Friends of Paddington Old Cemetery (FOPOC)
6. Through Brent's restriction of access to the cemetery, local residents have been displaced from their local green space, friend groups have been broken, and people's wellbeing is being negatively impacted.
7. If you asked visitors what they most liked about Paddington Old Cemetery they would talk about the beauty and the quiet peacefulness. When you restrict access- you create busy periods around 9am or just before closing time.. by lengthening the opening hours you stagger visitors which keeps the cemetery a beautiful quiet place.
8. If staffing is an issues to changing opening hours- trusted volunteers from the local community can be identified to help open and close the cemetery.
Who am I :
I'm a local resident who has been visiting the cemetery since 2015 on my own, with my dog and with my children. I've been involved with FOPOC volunteering with several projects looking at saving the chapels, litter picking, challenging the PSPO, or indeed helping Brent Council keep the cemetery open to locals during the COVID Pandemic as a volunteer opener/closer. I've been approached by a number of angry regulars and I've been saddened to see friendship groups which spanned a wide variety of age groups and interests disbanded because their common meeting place is no longer accessible.
If you are interested in being added to an email address database held by me to keep you to up to date with discussions with council on the issue of Paddington Old Cemetery Opening hours- please email me with your name. firstname.lastname@example.org
Started by: Tamara Williams
This ePetition runs from 04/11/2022 to 18/12/2022.
145 people have signed this ePetition.