Agenda and minutes
Venue: Board Room 2 - Brent Civic Centre, Engineers Way, Wembley HA9 0FJ. View directions
Contact: James Kinsella, Governance Manager Tel: 020 8937 2063; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apologies for absence and clarification of alternate members
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Colwill and Tatler, with Councillors Kansagra and M.Patel present as substitute members.
Declarations of interests
Members are invited to declare at this stage of the meeting, the nature and existence of any relevant disclosable pecuniary, personal or prejudicial interests in the items on this agenda and to specify the item(s) to which they relate.
There were no declarations of interests made by Members.
Deputations (if any)
To hear any deputations received from members of the public in accordance with Standing Order 67.
There were no deputations received.
To approve the minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.
RESOLVED that the minutes of the previous meeting held on Monday 21 May 2018 be approved as an accurate record.
Matters arising (if any)
To consider any matters arising from the minutes of the previous meeting.
There were no matters arising.
At its meeting on 9 July 2018 Full Council is due to undertake a further review and determine the representation of political groups on its main committees as a result of the Council membership and political balance having changed following the countermanded election in Willesden Green on 21 June 2018. As soon as practicable after such a review, the General Purposes Committee is then required to review and determine the representation of political groups on its Sub-committees and then make appointments giving effect to the wishes of the political groups allocated seats.
Councillor Butt (as Chair) introduced the report from the Director of Legal and HR Services detailing a review of the representation of political groups on committees which there had been a requirement to undertake following the countermanded election held in Willesden Green ward on 21 June 2018.
Members noted that the full review had been presented to Council on 9 July 2018 and on this basis General Purposes Committee was now required to review the representation of political groups on each of their Sub Committees.
(1) To note the size of each Sub Committee to be appointed by the Committee;
(2) To confirm the allocation of seats to political groups on each Sub Committee and appointment of members in accordance with the political balance rules, as detailed within section 3 of the report.
To be tabled on the day.
RESOLVED to approve the following changes in appointments on General Purposes Sub Committees:
senior staff appointments sub-committee
(1) To note that Full Council on 9 July 2018 had agreed to amend SO51 to increase the number of Labour Group members appointed as substitutes on the Sub Committee by two.
(2) To approve the addition of Councillors Miller and Southwood as substitute members on the Sub Committee, with the membership now as follows:
m butt (C) LABOUR
mclennan (VC) LABOUR
Krupa sheth LABOUr
LABOUR:agha, farah, MILLER, m patel, southwood, Tatler
CONSERVATIVE: KANSAGRA, MAURICE
brent pension fund sub-committee
(1) Councillors Shahzad and Gbajumo to be replaced as full Members of the Sub Committee by Councillors Daly and Stephens, with the full membership now as follows:
choudhary (C) LABOUR
aden (VC) LABOUR
FRANCESCA HAMMOND (UNISON)
STEPHEN HOLLEY (UNITED COLLEGES GROUP)
LABOUR:choudry, kabir, mcleish, naheerathan
CONSERVATIVE: colwill, kansagra
brent pension board
(1) To note that following the Council meeting on 9 July 18, an update on membership of the Pension Board would be provided for the next General Purposes Committee meeting.
Any other urgent business
Notice of items to be raised under this heading must be given in writing to the Head of Executive and Member Services or his representative before the meeting in accordance with Standing Order 60.